Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Papaw

Mamaw and papaw were diagnosed with covid on February 1st after feeling bad for several days. They tried to recover from the virus at home but by February 7th they were both in need of hospitalization. The doctors felt like mamaw was going to be ok but they said papaw was very sick. This was the beginning of a 6 1/2 week journey that we were not prepared for. 


On March 17th with all of his family at his bedside, papaw was peacefully called home.


We always want more time, especially since papaw never felt old to me. It could be because he was still snorkeling at the ocean in his 80’s :)


Summers working the garden, phone calls and voicemails that ended with “love you babe”, and Wednesday night beans and cornbread are gone but I’ll have the memories forever. 


58 years of marriage and a beautiful legacy they will leave behind.


I’m blessed I was able to spend 33 years of my life with him on earth and now I’ll have eternity with him in heaven. 


Everybody loved papaw and he genuinely loved them back. 


He was still hunting, fishing, chopping wood and working cattle until the end. There’s no doubt he had a life well lived.




I love this picture of Jack and papaw at the catfish festival waiting to hear how much his tagged fish was worth. 


I love this picture of papaw and Paige too








We all think he favored Elvis in his glory days 


Dad and papaw, 1965


Their last trip to the beach, 2016


He chopped down some dead trees in our yard and stacked all of this wood for us. He could outwork and young man!


He was so happy for us when we bought our jeep 




Five generations- my great great grandfather Garrett Wayne Burden, great grandmother Eva Burden Embry, papaw Ernie, dad and me (1987)






Last spring, John boy was on the way 


His last strawberry season, I’m so glad I took this picture. 


Our last time fishing with him. Another moment I’m glad I captured!


He loved being outside and enjoying nature.


Halloween 2019

Dad and papas the year dad caught a tagged fish 


He did it all!




It was a great honor of my life to sit with him and be by his side in his final weeks. His life was of quality and quantity, and a great reminder the simple life which you work hard for is the best life. Until we see each other again, papaw-I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment