Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Remembering Papaw

My papaw Denzel Porter was born to the late Luther Porter and the late Luda Mae Cook Porter on November 24th, 1930 in the Boston community of Butler County, Kentucky.

There were 5 children- L to R Papaw, late Maurice Porter, Rollie "Bubby" Porter, late Loyce Porter Neely, and late Clarence Porter. Papaw was the youngest of all of the children (actually the way they are seated is youngest to oldest).

He joined the service in 1951 and served 4 years in the Army and National Guard.

When he came back home, he started dating my mamaw Carolyn McCoy and they married on August 10th, 1957.

They had one child-my mom Stacha Porter Murphy on November 23rd, 1964. Mom and Papaw's birthdays are just one day apart! [And what about the personalized Christmas card?!? This was in the 1960's! Only my grandparents!]

He worked as a milk delivery man for Holland Dairy, a school-bus driver (which is actually when he started dating my mamaw because he drove her bus ha! They are 10 years apart in age.), and as a shipping supervisor for Kellwood Industries where he retired from after 35 years.

He loved the Lord, his family, lawn work, UK basketball, traveling, anything to do with cars, and meeting new people.

Papaw, me as a baby and my cousin Clint

Beach Trip-2005

WKU Graduation-May 2009

My wedding day- May 22, 2010

Gender Reveal Party-May 2012. He knew she was a girl!

Our last family vacation, Hilton Head Island- July 2012

And probably my favorite picture of all. This was taken in late July after he bought Georgia her "first car" :)

Again, thank you to everyone for the calls, texts, visits, food, gifts, and prayers over the past week. We are blessed with loving friends, family, and a community that provides comfort during a time of loss. He may be gone from us in body but his spirit lives on. I hope and pray that Georgia Grace has some of his characteristics and we will make sure to tell her plenty of stories about him! What a sweet day it will be when we are all reunited in our heavenly home. I love you papaw!

2 comments:

  1. I love this so much! you did a great job. I'm missing him everyday. I'm thankful for such a tight family.

    ReplyDelete