Friday, February 8, 2013

100 Days


Today marks 100 days since I became a mother. My husband read in the book Rules For My Unborn Son, "Make time for your mom on your birthday. It's her special day too." I can totally see where this author was coming from. It is probably the biggest and absolute best change you will ever go through. I take so much pride in being a mom and taking care of my family.

In the past 100 days I have learned:

  • God's Grace. It is so unavoidably obvious throughout pregnancy and delivery. How anyone could doubt that there is a God after having a child is beyond me. His hand is on everything and was on me throughout this entire experience. I find peace in knowing that He was with me in the first 100 days and will be with me everyday here after.
  • Enjoy EVERY moment. The good, the bad, the ugly. Despite the hardships we experience as moms, I wouldn't trade them. These are the best days and I cherish all aspects of this stage.
  • My new name is "Georgia's mom" ha! But seriously it is. And I am 100% fine with that. I am now in the background as she takes center stage and I wouldn't have it any other way. That's what being a mommy is all about!
  • Breastfeeding is HARD. Working in the healthcare industry and counseling breastfeeding mothers daily you would think I would have a decent grasp on how it would go. Wrong. I'm happy to say that we found what worked best for us and Georgia Grace continues to receive breastmilk exclusively-yay! And we probably have a 3 month supply frozen (I am a milk cow). I know for certain I am a better breastfeeding educator now after going through it. And it is all worth it.
  • Pregnancy changes you. I am lucky that I have not suffered from a myriad of changes but I didn't escape without developing a few. The most recent change I have seen is my hair is now oily?! I have always had the driest hair on the planet which was GREAT because I would only wash my hair about every 3rd day! That has gone out the window (temporarily, I hope). And right now when my getting ready routine is being condensed with every time saver I can come up with, dry hair would be super nice to have. But there are much worse things than oily hair- I think I will live. :)
  • Sleep when you get the chance. I have never been much of a napper but I have adapted. I am very lucky to have a baby that sleeps through the night so the sleep was more crucial in those first 4 weeks (aka the zombie stage). A well rested mommy is a better mommy!
  • Plan, plan, plan. Every night I probably spend an hour getting things set for the next day. Clothes (for me and Georgia Grace) picked out, bags packed, bottles ready to go, breastpump ready to go, car seat in house...and the list goes on. The more I plan and have things ready, the smoother our morning/day goes. I guess I already knew this but having a baby definitely reemphasized this lesson.
  • And the biggest and best-the love of a mother. I have always heard you will never know love like the love you have for your children. I know exactly what they are talking about now. It's indescribable until you experience it for yourself and I am so thankful God allowed me to experience it! 

And I have this little angel to thank for giving me the title "mommy". What a blessed 100 days it has been. I love my life and the lessons I have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment